Faithful over Fickle
Main Point: Choose Faithful over Fickle
Key Scripture (2 Corinthians 1:17-18)
17 Was I fickle when I intended to do this? Or do I make my plans in a worldly manner so that in the same breath I say both “Yes, yes” and “No, no”?
18 But as surely as God is faithful, our message to you is not “Yes” and “No.”
Faithful over Fickle:
- Faith is not a lever we pull, Faith is a lens that gives us perspective
- Unmet expectations can lead to fickleness. What if God is about to exceed your expectations?
- Jesus did not come to serve us on demand, rather he came to fulfill his Father's command.
Important Takeaway: God uses people to prove his faithfulness.
Key Scripture (John 12:12)
13 They took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting,
“Hosanna! ”“Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!”
“Blessed is the king of Israel!”
21 But they kept shouting, “Crucify him! Crucify him!” 22 For the third time he spoke to them: “Why? What crime has this man committed? I have found in him no grounds for the death penalty. Therefore I will have him punished and then release him.” 23 But with loud shouts they insistently demanded that he be crucified, and their shouts prevailed. 24 So Pilate decided to grant their demand.
2 When John, who was in prison, heard about the deeds of the Messiah, he sent his disciples 3 to ask him, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?”
4 Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: 5 The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. 6 Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”
- We have a God who is always faithful, even when we are fickle.
- In what ways do you struggle with fickleness? Relationally, in your ambitions, or in your commitments?
- How have you been hurt by fickle people?
- How has God proved his faithfulness in your life?
- Who and what did God use to show you he is faithful?
- Has unmet expectations ever caused you to be fickle in your relationships with God and others?
- Have you ever been guilty of viewing faith as a lever you pull, rather then as a lens to give you perspective?
- What demands are you making on Jesus?
- How can you show others the faithfulness of God this week?